Wednesday 19 March 2014

Producing Video Highlights on an iPad

I was chatting after a tournament last year with a soccer coach from another school, who I have a great deal of respect for. One of the things that impressed me was the fact that he video recorded all his team's games and many training sessions and then downloaded this footage before editing it all to a highlight package. This sounded impressive and really useful, but a huge amount of work!

This season I have been doing just that - producing video highlight clips of the team in practise and in game situations, but without the hours of editing work, by using the iPad app video tagger. The app basically works by having the camera running and when you tap the screen it records a few seconds either side of the tap. These clips are then saved together into a video. I have stopped sessions midway through and shown what is happening, and the students are to see what I am talking about. I also have passed the iPad around at the end of the session and on the bus home, and there is some interesting self reflection for the players!

I have also taken the video and then opened it in ubersense so that I can play it back in slow motion and annotate it as needed, when I have wanted to look at some techniques with individual players.

These apps have been great tools in helping players understand about tactics and techniques this season, and I really appreciate the fact that it is so quick to get the video clips edited! The only draw back is that I have been filling up the iPad's memory pretty quickly!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Scratch Coding in PE

  Recently as part of the start of a unit of inquiry that looked at coding in the homeroom I organised an introduction to scratch code in  P...